World’s first gold sovereign coins ever to be minted with platinum gold
Many events are labelled ‘historic’. Some happen once a decade, others maybe once a lifetime, others only once a century. We are about to witness an event that has never happened before, in the entirety of British history. In 2022, Queen Elizabeth II becomes the first British monarch ever to reach a Platinum Jubilee.
A Platinum Jubilee is a reign of 70 years, and what a reign it has been. Not only is Her Majesty the first to reach this milestone, making her our longest-reigning monarch, but she is also our oldest reigning monarch. She has reigned through the Jet Age, the Space Age, the Computer Age, and now into the Internet Age, and through all that time she has managed her role as monarch and mother with style, grace, and compassion.
We are about to be part of one of the biggest events in British history, an event that will not be repeated for at least a century, and quite possibly ever.
To commemorate an event of this magnitude, it requires a series of gold sovereign coins that will also ‘stand the test of time’. Even putting to one side the significance of the event they celebrate; these are amongst the most highly significant sovereign coins ever released. They will stand apart in the same way Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee does.
The most significant feature of these coins is that they are the world’s first sovereign coins ever to be minted with ‘platinum-gold’; used in recognition of the Platinum Jubilee. It has been created by enriching solid 22-carat gold with two carats worth of platinum. This is the richest, most valuable gold alloy ever to be used in the production of sovereign coins!
Just in case the use of this exceptionally valuable metal isn’t enough to entice you to this series, there is a further important feature. The coins in this new sovereign range feature celebratory portraits of the Queen at landmark moments of her reign, all of which have never been seen on sovereign coins before. This will make them of great interest to royal portrait collectors.
Exceptional Platinum-Gold for a Platinum Jubilee Monarch
As a tribute to Her Majesty’s 70 years of service, every sovereign coin in this commemorative series is produced from an exceptional blend of platinum and gold.
Traditionally, British sovereigns are minted at 22-carat gold purity – which is 91.67% pure. The remaining 8.33% is another metal, often Copper, which is added to the gold to give the coins strength. On a rare occasion for Queen Victoria’s Jubilee in 1887, silver was used.
However, to create coins that are incredibly special, this series of sovereigns for Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee have been created with pure platinum as the metal that is added to the gold! Solid 22 carat gold is being enriched with two carats worth of platinum, which means each and every coin is made of 91.67% gold, plus 8.33% platinum – the richest, most valuable gold alloy that sovereigns have ever been minted from!
In the same way this is the first Platinum Jubilee in history, so too are these the first platinum-gold sovereign coins in history.
In addition to this world’s first use of platinum-gold, these new sovereigns feature never-before-seen portraits of the Queen at key milestones in her reign. These include a portrait depicting her at the time of her Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the young Queen at her Coronation in 1953, and of her this year at the time of her Platinum Jubilee. The design of the smallest coin in the series, the one-eighth sovereign, features the royal cypher of Elizabeth II with a celebratory garland of roses, thistles, leeks, and shamrocks to represent the nations of the United Kingdom. This garlanded cypher is also placed on each of the other coins in the series, linking them all into one glorious tribute to our platinum jubilee monarch.
Benefit from the SELL OUT GUARANTEE
The 2022 Platinum Jubilee Monarch Platinum-Gold Prestige Sovereign Set will not exceed 1,499 sets and is also subject to our new SELL OUT GUARANTEE. What this means is that availability of this set will end on 30th April 2022. At that time, any sets that are unsold will be melted down and verified to that effect.
At that point, we will issue to owners of this set a new certificate stating the final mintage which may be lower, or possibly considerably lower, than 1,499. If the mintage remains at 1,499 then this means the set sold out entirely to keen customers, and if not, you may have secured for yourself a low mintage rarity.
Either way, there will be little or no surplus of this set on the secondary market and so the set you own will be a rarity in the gold sovereign series.